Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Lumpy Leg and a Moldy Floor

Shortly before leaving for Uganda, Ruby had complained a couple times about her leg hurting her. She's known for having an unusually high pain tolerance (the one perk of her sensory processing challenges). Yet, amidst our busyness I didn't pay much attention to her complaints. I vaguely remember one time, after her bath, noticing a small lump a few inches below her left knee. Hmm, maybe it's a reaction to a spider bite or something, I had thought.
Well, last night she complained again at dinner - and something in me woke up. Uh oh, I thought. This might be something to pay attention to. I walked over to her chair, pulled up her pant leg, and noticed a lump the size of an egg under her knee. Gulp. I called the doctor right away.
Even though the lump had decreased in size, today after school Daddy and Sadie brought Ruby to the doctor. The doctor sent them to the hospital for an X-ray. Dave called me on the drive over, and admitted he was feeling pretty nervous. I had just read earlier today in my devotional that we should practice saying "I will trust you, Jesus" as situations pop up throughout the day. So, we chose to say that...sorta like the man who came to Jesus and said "I believe, help my unbelief". God, in His kindness to us, gave us peace that He knows Ruby's body and we can trust Him with whatever He allows to come her way.
Wouldn't you know? Fast forward three hours - and the doctor called us at home to say the X-rays look fine. Could be a fluke thing, who knows. Oh wait, HE knows =-) And then there's this little issue: we've got mold. ugly smelly mold. We walked into our home on Christmas Eve evening, and the moldy smell met us at the door. Turns out our fridge (purchased when we moved here 15 months ago) has had a slow leak, and that leak has seeped water under our floating floor. Ha! as I type that, I find it ironic that when we pulled up the pieces we found standing water under our "floating floor". My sister would find that "punny". Anyway, because this is damage categorized as a result of ongoing problem our insurance doesn't cover repairs...on top of that, our warranty on our fridge ran out 3 months ago. Argh.
But you know what? not to over-spiritualize, but seriously - so what? Do we think that GOD, the very One Who we just saw move mountains on our behalf in Africa, the very One Who provides for our ministry every month, the very One Who gave us noses to smell mold, and feet to walk on the floor, that very God can't or won't also help us with this little detail of a moldy floor and leaky fridge? Ha! of course He can.

1 comment:

  1. Loving every post. And yes, I laughed at your standing water under the floating floor (the play on words, definitely not the situation)! :)

    ReplyDelete