111 years ago today, Madonna "Louise" Driscoll was born during an extra harsh North Dakota winter. She was tiny, and the doctor thought she wouldn't make it to see her first spring.. She lived to be almost 98 years old. My Gramma. I miss her. I still tear up just remembering her. She is still such a part of the fabric of our family, that Dave feels like he knows her - though they never met.
Gramma lived across the street from us from the time I was five years old. When I was 18, she moved into my parents home, not because she needed to, but because my parents begged her to - we just all loved her so much, and wanted her as close as possible. My dad (her son-in-law) didn't just "accept" her into his home. He welcomed and pursued her. It's a little thing, but I can still picture how everyday after work, he would go straight to her room, sit down for a few minutes to share about his day and ask her about hers. He'd do anything for her, and she for him. I grew up knowing no other way. (Now I get to be married to that kind of guy.)
My gramma was my biggest fan; I really believe that. She knew my faults, but she acted like I could do no wrong - and so I wanted to be what she seemed to already see in me.
My kids have those kinds of grandparents.
So today, on MLK Day, I want to honor not just my grandmother, but also my parents. I grew up hearing that racism was ugly and evil. I grew up watching my parents pursue friendships with people of different races. I grew up believing that God created us all in His image, and that skin color was no indication of worth - because GOD assigns worth to all human life.
When Dave and I told my parents that their first grandchild would be African American, my parents didn't just "accept" that, they rejoiced. They have embraced and celebrated the special beauty and richness that comes from having a multi-ethnic family.
My kids have grandparents (on both sides of course) that love them wholeheartedly. I know firsthand how important grandparents are, and I'm so thankful my kids get to know that too.
No comments:
Post a Comment