Sorry. No photos today. I'm having trouble downloading them to this computer. But if/when I have the energy tomorrow, I'll try to post them.
Today we strapped the boys to our backs, and went on an adventure to the market a mile down the road. The city where we are staying is built on seven hills, and our hill overlooks Lake Victoria. It's really quite beautiful. But walking in 80 degree heat with a cranky two year old strapped to you makes it hard to enjoy the scenery. No, that's not true completely. Dave and I were remarking to each other: can you believe we are in Africa right now? We had to keep our eyes on where we were going, and not get distracted by the people across the road that were rigging a motorcycle up on a telephone pole with a pulley system, for example. If you don't watch your step, you could fall into the drainage ditch dug on the shoulder of the road, or wander even an inch the other way and get clipped by a bus, or boda boda (motor scooter) or car wizzing past. Which by the way, one of the guys at our guest house rode a boda boda taxi down the hill to get take out, and his driver got clipped by another car, and the drivers hand was split open and bleeding, but everyone (including the driver) just went on their way like nothing happened.
But seriously, I though it was just a figure of speech to say something is up hill both ways. Here is Africa, today, it was true. We loaded up our treasures: consisting of a box of 24 bottles of drinkable water, and walked back to the guest house. Whew! Dave and I were beat! Too bad the boys has a cozy, restful ride, and were ready for action when we got back!
No comments:
Post a Comment