Monday, December 19, 2011

The Kids

Usually when we're in a car/van getting around town, I feel like I'm wrestling a greased crocodile - because seat belts, let alone car seats, are basically unheard of around here, and the boys hate to be contained...they much prefer trying to crawl out the window and see how close they can get their heads to a boda-boda (motor cycle) whizzing by!

So, usually when we're in the car I don't have my camera ready to snap photos of what we see. I don't have photos of all the children that scamper to our car window in the busy intersections, and press their runny noses and dirty hands onto the glass as they say "hello! hello! I'm hungry! hello!". I don't have a photo of the little girl who was so short that all I could see was the tips of her fingers as she reached up to the van window and tried to knock on the glass, saying "can you feed me? hello!" We don't want to believe that there are children that went to bed tonight without ever eating today.
We have some new friends, that we met here, who are adopting a little boy who turns five years old next month. He's been in a "babies home" orphanage since infancy. Like most babies homes, children are "released" from custody at age five. That means they age-out and need to fend for themselves at age five, in order to make room for incoming babies.

We don't want to believe that really happens. But it does. It almost happened to this little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment