Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Some of the People
It's the people that we miss most. The names and faces that don't mean much to folks that weren't with us in person...but those we won't ever forget:
We met Kenneth on the plane ride over. He welcomed us to his home, drove us around town to show us how the locals live, and called and texted frequently to make sure we were ok.
This is one of our heroes: "Freda" who works at the Embassy, and is possibly one of Uganda's biggest advocates for vulnerable children. She is a woman of strength, dignity, kindness, and competency. Whenever I saw her (through the glass window) at the Embassy she would chide me for choking up into tears. The day after our visa interview we happened to run into her at the mall, and we got to hug her. I hope she sensed how grateful we were for her service to orphans and adoptive families.
Hands down the highlight of our trip was the fellowship we had with other adoptive families. Dave and I both say it was the most intimate and meaningful fellowship we've ever had. We laughed, cried, prayed, cried some more, hoped, encouraged, and empathized with some amazing people: Joel and Tara, Scott and Janna, Dawn and Eli, Brett and Arlene, Jeff and Teri, Daniel and Emily... and their precious children will forever hold a special place in our hearts.
This is Samual, one of the waiters at our favorite restaurant. He asked Dave to sponsor him to come to U.S. He said "I will do anything. I can come and be your house maid. Anything." It was sobering to think what a privilege it is to live where we do.
Winnie works at the guest house. She makes the most amazing pancakes! She loved our children, and was a joy to be around. Her quiet spirit and prayers for us were such a blessing.
Dave got a kick out of the boda-boda (motorcycle taxi) driver that served our guest house. He always wore this full length parka, despite the 80 degree weather!
Patience, Fatima, and Flavia were the sweet girls at the coffee shop.
Cyrus and his wife, Pauline, serve with the same missions organization as we do: Campus Crusade for Christ. We had an instant kindred connection with them, and it felt "like home" to be around them and share a similar passion for bringing the gospel to the lost. He had a week of vacation before Christmas and spent all-day-every-day driving us around in a borrowed car - including over 12 hrs on the day of our Embassy appointment. We were so blessed by Cyrus's joyful servant's heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I just started crying when I saw Winnie! I spent many hours in the kitchen with her and Livingstone, watching her peel potatoes or make her amazing omelets and asking her to teach me how to slice a mango properly. She is my family and I miss her so much! Thanks for sharing the photos. It was great to see Freda, too.
ReplyDeleteAnd WELCOME HOME! ...hang in there.
Kim, I KNOW! Winnie and Livingston are truly family to us too. Dave had them (and Prossy) in giggles all the time, and I just got to ride on his outgoing coat-tails =-) For the first week, Joseph would only allow me to hold him, and insisted that I be standing all the time. I was getting exhausted! Winnie started chiding Dave - and that changed everything =-) I owe her what is left of my back and arm muscles!
ReplyDeleteThe people are so beautiful, inside and out! Again, thanks for sharing so much Dave and Joy. Now that you are reunited as a family safely at home, we pray for patience, strength, encouragement and wisdom during this adjustment.
ReplyDelete