Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Elves did it

Ok, stinkin' blogger still won't let me rotate my photos, so please kindly tilt your head to the right to properly view this pic:  it's a schmear of peanut butter I discovered on the inside hinge of my cupboard, waaaay up on the top hinge.  No idea how it got there.  Both of my daughters insist they have no idea either.  I guess an elf was sneaking around our house today, and decided to do this.  Guess an elf thought this would be a funny addition to our day.  'Cept I didn't laugh, I inwardly chided myself for not being a more "aware" mom.
Example number 2 of my lack of awareness: this morning I went to switch Ruby's earrings to another pair she's been requesting to wear, and I noticed that the earring backs were inside the back of her earlobe.  Folks, how do earring backs get morphed into an earlobe in less than a week and end up inside the skin?  I felt sick about it, and Ruby was screaming bloody murder, and blood was dripping, and Joshua decided it was a good time to throw a diaper into the toilet...
So, we made our way to the doctor's office for the first available appointment.  We were 15 minutes early, and when it was our turn we were called in to a little examination room - and 50 minutes later the doctor came in.  Wait.  Let's stop right there.  If you're a mom, you just read that sentence in a way completely differently than my husband (or most non-moms) would.  I told him on the phone this afternoon that we were able to get in to see the doctor, and we had to wait 50 minutes, and he said "oh that's good that you got in so quickly"  Naw uh!  If you're a mom, you know that 50 extra minutes woth four kids in an exam room before the doc comes in is...well have you ever heard the phrase herding cats?  Or how about the scene in that Rocky movie where the coach makes him chase and try to catch a greased chicken?  Yeah, and I didn't have any snacks or toys with me, cuz I was in such a frenzy to get these foreign objects out of my kid's earlobes.
But back to the story - turns out that I did most of the dirty work at home, and had loosened the earrings enough so that the doctor really only had to put on a pair of gloves, take each earring off carefully, swab the wounds with alcohol and bacitracin, and send us on our way.
And when we got home, I cleaned up the peanut buttered hinge in the kitchen cupboard.  But I sorta wanted to leave it there to ask my husband if he did it =-)  Naw... I'm sure it was an elf.

No comments:

Post a Comment