These days are fleeting. We had a good day, but it was hard to embrace every minute of it, because we were tired, and I often found myself counting the hours until bedtime. I'm sorry, Self. Someday I'm gonna long for days like today. Someday I'm gonna look back with nostalgia. But instead, today I humped through it, feeling tired and achy. Feeling sorry for myself that I had to get out of bed three times in the night (like usual) to attend to a daughter who doesn't sleep like "typical" kids do, and tired from an extra packed week of home and ministry life. Today was a good day, and I almost missed that fact. Today was a day with my family, and with my precious little children who are growing up faster than I realize:
Today we helped my sister move across town. And Ruby rocked! She was focused, diligent, hard-working, cheerful, and did I already say focused? She and LouLou helped Daddy and the others, and then the boys are I came for a couple hours of the action too. Today was a good day.
After 5 hours of moving furniture and boxes, Dave fell asleep on the couch for a few minutes. But couldn't pass up Sadie Lou's invitation to build a tower to the ceiling. We're both trying to remember that chances like this won't always be here. Today was a good day.
I zipped up to the library for a fresh batch of books, and both Ruby and Sadie Lou listened attentively while Daddy read to them about Angelina Ballerina. Today was a good day.
Joseph and Joshua have been having so much fun together. The girls taught them how to pretend to be puppies, and they crawl on the floor panting and yelping. These goofballs were in their jammies by 6:50pm. I was tired, and they were too. You know that kiddie fatigue that makes 'em super giggly and hyper? They would hug and fall onto the floor still hanging on to each other, and laugh/squeal. Today was a good day.
And then Daddy was done reading to the girls, so they came in and starting giving the boys horsey rides. All four kids hyper, and Dave and I sitting on the floor feeling tired. We almost missed how precious this moment was. We were mostly thinking about just getting everybody in to bed. But then we said to each other "We got good kids" and "Yep". And we smiled at each other.
Today was a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment