Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Adventure Time


Dave's out of town this week on a ministry trip, so I figured it was a good time to institute a new family practice: Adventure Time. After a long and very cold winter, the girls have gotten quite accustomed to Momma playing with them. In fact, they really don't like to play without me. It's a special blessing, and one day I will miss it (so I've been told), but for now I really would love the chance for the girls to play without my constant presence. Besides - it's good for their development and imaginations to play together without Momma, right?

Thus: Adventure Time, the time in the day that the girls are sent outside into the back yard, without adults. So far, it lasts about 2.2 minutes and then I have to say "Girls, go back outside." or "No, LouLou, the bugs won't hurt you, just shoo them away." or "Girls, this is your opportunity to have adventures. Go have fun!"

Tonight after dinner, I tried another trick. I said, "Oh dear! We almost missed our chance! I haven't given you Adventure Time yet! Quick! Outside you go -without me!"

It worked. They went out to the sand box and swing set, and played together without me. Only a few times did I have to call out suggestions for them "how about you chase each other around the yard" or "how about playing restaurant"...and then they found their rhythm.

After about ten minutes, I was at a loss. I kept peeking out the window at them, and kept finding them fully occupied - without me. and I wondered "now what do I do?" I didn't know how to handle my own down time.

Guess the girls aren't the only ones needing to learn how to enjoy Adventure Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment