Ruby had four teeth by four months old, and a mouth full by her first birthday. Then she lost four teeth before she was four-and-a-half years old. That's about the only area of development that Ruby's been "early" for. Otherwise, I've learned, you just can't rush Ruby. She didn't learn to walk until she was 16 months old. But she walks now. She didn't potty train until she was 3 1/2. But she's trained now. She didn't drop her naps until she was almost six years old. But she's past the nap phase now. It's no use comparing her to other kids around her. She isn't other kids around her. She's Ruby. She's: pull-your-hair-out with frustration over her challenges Ruby. She's: omigosh what a special kid Ruby. She's: why can't you just be normal Ruby. She's: oh I'm so glad you're uniquely you Ruby. And every day I'm reminded (as I'm trying to rush her) that you can't rush Ruby. She'll get there, in her own way and in her own time.
Today I was bathing the boys, and Ruby and LouLou were playing in their bedroom. I peeked in and saw them reading - or at least pretending to read, without prompting. Books and Ruby have been oil and water for as long as I can remember. Even as a baby, she resisted sitting in my lap to look at books. The world is far too interesting to Ruby to expect her to want to sit and look when she could be actively doing something.
Yet, kindergarten is almost over, and lots of kids in her class are now reading short sentences and recognizing words...and Ruby isn't. She still seems resistant to books, being read to, wanting to read, etc, etc. My anxiety is rising. My tendency to want to compare sneaks up on me. I want to rush Ruby. That's not how God made her. And He's got a path for Ruby - and she'll get there, in her own way and in her own time.
So proud and so glad for you not comparing. It's so easy to do it- you are exactly who Ruby needs right now. Good for you!
ReplyDelete