Sunday, November 7, 2010

How God made me

It happens on rare occasion, but every once in awhile Ruby will say something out of the blue about being adopted, or about our family being transracial. This morning at breakfast she said, "At preschool Katie said "Why are you brown." Preschool was two days previous. "Oh, what did you tell her?" I answered nonchalantly. "I said that's how God made me." "Good job, honey, that's right!" I answered. "Yeah, she said "Why are you BROOOWN (with a sassy, mean voice)? I said cuz that's how God made me, and then she said "I'm NOT going to sit by you, I'm going to sit by Elaina. Then Hazel came to sit by me because I love Hazel." I gulped. Dave gave me the look that meant "don't cry". I locked eyes with Ruby and smiled, trying to act normal, "Ok. Well Hazel loves you, Ruby, she's your friend. I'm glad you got to sit by her." I love my daughters' brown skin. I love the fact that that is how God made them, in His goodness, in His wisdom, and for His glory. I'm praying that they will always love that about themselves too. Please pray for their little hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment