Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Who Stretches Your Net

I just saw a facebook post about John 21, referring to Jesus' disciples going out fishing, and after not catching anything all night, Jesus shows up (unecpectantly) on the shore and suggests to the fishermen that they cast their nets on the other side of the boat, so they do and they catch so much fish they can't even haul it all in.  It's at this point that Peter recognizes that it's Jesus on the shore and he jumps into the water and makes his way to shore as fast as he can.  Jesus (resurrected) already has some fish cooking on the fire, but invites them to add to the meal with the fish they just caught.  And then the text mentions the crazy huge number of fish they caught and that "even with so many the net was not torn..."
Well, the post I saw on facebook was : "Reading John chapter 21 today. Random thought came to mind for all the adoptive parents in the world: GOD WILL NOT LET YOUR NETS BE BROKEN. “Whoever receives a child in My name, receives me.” (post by Brandon Hatmaker)
Ever feel like your life is so full you're fit to burst? Like the needs of those around you have filled your net to over-capacity? Yep, me too.  Yet I haven't been torn to pieces.
So I was thinking of who God's been using to add stretchy-ness to my net lately:
1) The first few minutes of my day when I lay in bed and talk to Jesus and ask Him for help
2) The thousand times a day I re-iterate that request
3) My husband, who prays for me, with me, is a sounding board for my daily challenges in parenting, and is a hands-on daddy to boot
4) My parents who act like I'm doing them a favor when I ask them to help me with my kids
5) A friend who texts me at random times to tell me she's praying for me
6) Another friend who is picking up Sadie this Friday and insisting I nap while the boys nap
7) The book by my bedside, and the bible in my purse, and the other book on my mantel, and the one on the floor on my mini-van...each ready for me to grab and read a page or two when I have an unassigned minute here and there
8) The snuggles from my non-snuggly baby
9) The teacher who loves my daughter and keeps telling me that all our extra "home" work is not in vain
10) The One who made the net, made the fish, and already has what I need on the grill hot and ready
 

No comments:

Post a Comment