Sunday, February 17, 2013

Glory girl

Seven years ago, on a Friday night, an amazing, strong, beautiful woman walked herself into a hospital to give birth...to give life.  A baby girl was born; the name Glory attached to her long lean frame.  She wasn't breathing, the cord or something, I don't know, but she was revived.   She was revived!  I wasn't there, and didn't even know she was "here" for another three days. 
But then: the phone call that changed our life forever: "Your baby has been born.  It's a girl.  She was born 3 days ago.  7 pounds 2 oz, and 22 inches long....Her birth name is Glory..."  We cried happy tears.  We made phone calls.  We sent announcement emails.  We packed our suitcase and prepared to fly across the country.  And we waited for the official green light to go get our daughter.
We named her Ruby, after the heroic/historic Ruby Bridges who, along with her family, trusted God and chose to walk a path less traveled, and with faith and courage through hardship, God used her to forge a trail for many to follow.  Her daddy wanted her middle name to be Joy, after her momma.
At night I'd lay in bed after Dave and I said our prayers, and I'd stare up at the knotty pine ceiling in our little attic bedroom in our east side house, and think about our Ruby Joy.
"I miss her" I'd whisper with my throat tight with emotion.  "Miss her?  You haven't met her yet."  Dave would whisper back.  "I just miss her so badly" I'd insist.  Then God whispered back from the book of Isaiah "Glory is mine and mine alone.  I will not share my glory with anyone."  "UH!"  I gasped.  "What?"  Dave asked sleepily.  "Glory.  She's God's glory, not ours.  She belongs to God, Honey.  If we get to love her for a day, or a life time, it is all a gift, because she belongs to God anyway"  I rambled excitedly.  "Oh" he said half asleep.
And I knew: we would keep the name she was born wearing - and it would be a reminder that she is the Lord's.
And on her eleventh day, her daddy and I flew to meet her.  We sat on a striped couch, and someone carried her into the room and placed her in my arms.  My heart soared.  It was her. The one I'd been missing.  And I told her so.  And I thanked God for wrapping His glory in such a gift: Ruby Joy Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment