Sunday, February 20, 2011

Five Years Ago Today

Five years ago today was a Monday. I remember it was sunny. My friend, Joy, and I were about to launch the grand openning of our S.A.Y. Yes Center after school program for elementary kids in our urban neighborhood. After months of prayer, preparation, and lots more prayer - this was the day! We had kiddos in kindergarten through third grade for a couple hours, one afternoon per week, to teach them about Jesus. Since then the program has grown to serve kids k-7the grade, and actually my friend, Joy, and I are not at the after school program on a weekly basis like we used to be. God has faithfully raised up other volunteers to pour into these kids' lives.
But I can still see those little faces, the ones that were there the first day, and those who've joined us since: Kahlil, Ansaya, Seven, Myah, Kyshaun, Ternura, Anterina, Cortaza, Adrianna, Mariah, Jesus, Jaime, Arin, Daysha, DeAnthony, Sharay, Dajuan, Briana, Raven, Charles, Rikkia, Aria, Paris...and those twin boys (I can't remember their names).
Today I spent the afternoon with some of these kids. Five young ladies (most of whom I've known for five years) attended a S.A.Y. Yes Center purity retreat this weekend. They're ladies now - not just little girls. I am so proud of them, and so happy to see how God is at work in their hearts. Sure, they are jr high girls and with that comes plenty of room for growth yet to happen, if you know what I mean...but I see God at work, and I'm encouraged.
Five years ago today we opened the doors of the after school program, and God has been doing all the rest of the work. Just imagine five years from now... that's what gets me really excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment