On this day five years ago, Ruby was already three days old. But we didn't know that yet.It was a Monday and I spent the day rushing around getting last minute details ready for the grand opening of our S.A.Y. Yes Center after school program that afternoon. I remember lots of funny little things about that day: meeting the kids, the snack we had, the kids crowding all around me during a game (barely coming up to waist-high, and now some of them are taller than me)...
But mostly I remember exactly where I was, just blocks from my house, driving home - and Dave called me. He had news. Good news. Our daughter had been born. She was waiting for us in another state. She. Our daughter.
Days (felt like an eternity) later, we flew across the country, jumped in a rental car, and pulled up to the adoption agency. We sat on a striped couch. The door opened, and a lady walked in carrying her. Our daughter. She was 11 days old.
We left the adoption agency, and stopped at Target on the way back to the hotel - to buy bottles and baby formula. I called my parents in the car, "She's just sooo pretty. These long eyelashes, and perfect lips. And, Mom! Oh, you should see this - her cheeks jiggle when we drive over bumps!"
Oh, my daughter.
beautiful story. . . i totally can relate. . i will never forget where i was when 'the call' came, and yes, we stopped at target immediately after leaving the agency. she looks so tiny in that picture and you are glowing - thanks for sharing your special memory.
ReplyDelete