Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Into the deep end, Boys

I'm upstairs packing our family of six for the next nine days.  We'll be heading across town to stay in some college dorms with the rest of the staff members from around the country that serve with our ministry organization.  It'll be fun, I keep telling myself.  But "myself" is concerned about our kids.  Ruby has been more frenetic, impulsive, manic, emotional than usual these days.  And the boys - I'm nervous about them being in childcare for long hours each day (even though they'll be surrounded by sweet kids, and lovely childcare providers).  Joseph and Joshua haven't been in childcare ever.  Well, twice they were in church childcare for 50 minutes - but Josh didn't fare well, and both boys were clingy and ornery afterward...
Aside from that ~ it's going to be a fantastic time of rubbing shoulders with our co-laborers from around the country.  We'll celebrate all that we see God doing to transform lives in our inner cities, and we'll dream together about the future, and we'll co-sharpen each other in ministry training and philosophy, and we'll sit under the teaching of great Bible scholars... and we'll pray together and ask the Lord for fresh ideas and bold faith to excel still more in urban ministry. 
And at night I'll join the other moms in the hallway.  We'll each have our baby monitors to listen and make sure our kids are sleeping in their dorm bunks and pack-n-plays, and we'll sit on the floor and relate to each other about ministry life, encourage one another in parenting and marriage.  And we'll pray together.  And we'll laugh and eat Twizzlers, and paint our toenails.
It'll be fun, I keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment