Thursday, June 17, 2010

Take a Hike

Today we brought our college students on an "urban hike" to visit HLIC ministry partners in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. We went to Graffiti Church, and then to Abounding Grace Ministries, and ended our hike with dinner and a tour at the Bowery Mission.
I don't have photos. Grrr. I was too busy soaking up the stories that these heroes-of-the-faith were sharing...and taking pics felt like we were tourists coming to ooh and ahh rather than co-journers partnering for God's transforming work in the city.
Pastor Del Rio shared about his family: three biological sons and many many "adopted" sons and daughters. At one point he and his wife were caring for 7 kids, in addition to their 3 boys, in their one bedroom apartment. He said they just do what the Bible says: share what you have, and give love because God gives love to us... His sons are now grown and in ministry, and many of his other children are too.
I ate dinner with *Thomas. He's been living at the Bowery Mission for seven months. He's a college grad (Political Science degree). He used to work at the U.N., and before that he traveled to lots of exciting places. Now he's "taking a rest from it all" and getting his life back on track, and getting right with God. He dashed a lot of streotypes for me, and I hope I dashed some of his a little too. Thomas, and other residents at the Bowery, are taking WorkNet training courses provided in partnership with Here's Life to help remove barriers as they seek employment.
It's almost unfair to write this post. It's more like "reporting" than sharing. But words are failing me tonight...I'm really in awe of how God is at work through these inner city ministries, and felt so lucky to get to hear first hand testimonies of changed-lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment