Thursday, May 13, 2010

A World Poet

For those of you peeking in on the blog spot to read more about Rikkia, or read her poetry - I'm in the process of trying to get a sampling of her work, and post it soon.
Last night at S.A.Y. Yes Center after school program, Rikkia came running up to Dave saying, "Mr. Dave, I won a poetry contest!" He asked for more details, and all she could tell him is that now one of her poems will be in the world book of poetry. Hmm. Sounds pretty big time =-) But whether or not her writing is published, the point is that this is a little girl that desparately wants and needs to be recognized as special, talented, and as someone with something to say. Just like all of us. Rikkia lives with her auntie. And although her auntie does the best she can caring for all the extended family members under her roof, Rikkia often feels lost in the shuffle. Rikkia IS special. She IS talented. And she DOES have something to say.
And just as soon as I get her permission, I will share her poetry with you. Otherwise we'll just all have to wait for the next edition of the world book of poetry. =-)

No comments:

Post a Comment