Monday, May 3, 2010

Needed: Bug Squasher

Dave is out of town on a ministry trip, and I have the girls tucked into bed, and the house is quiet (mmm, I like it)!
Today the girls and I went on a looong walk. Well - I was the only one walking (while pushing a stroller with Sadie Lou aboard), and Ruby rode her big-girl bike with wobbly training wheels. Sadie kept her hand up by her brow the entire time. At first I hardly noticed, thinking she was shielding her eyes from the sunlight. But, 15 minutes into the walk, realizing it was an overcast day, I asked her "LouLou, whatcha doing with your hand on your face?" "Bugs not get me!" she explained.
You see, this child is deathly afraid of bugs. Really really terrified of bugs. I've never seen a phobia up close and personal - but I'm pretty sure this is the real deal. She screams with fright and leaps into the air and into the nearest protective arms whenever she sees a bug. Every time she sees a bug. My mom got her a fly swatter for her birthday. It was sort of a joke, but also a ploy to get Lou Lou to engage with bugs, and get close enough to handle the "problem" herself. This worked, kinda, for a few days. But now Lou Lou is even hesitant to go outside if she sees a bug. Yesterday, she was crying and screaming about seeing a bug at my parents' house, so my aunt courageously squashed it and then proceded to flush it down the toilet...and Sadie refused to use the toilet the rest of the day.
To clarify, ants are not good... but what is absolutely intolerable to Sadie Lou is any creature that flies (ie moth, gnat, ladybug, and fly). I don't get it. I'm not super excited about bugs, but I know for sure that I have never shown squeamishness in front of my kids - and if I were to show squeamishness, it would be for rodents. Ew! just typing that word creeps me out. But anyway, I can't imagine why Sadie Lou has such an aversion to bugs - they're just little creatures that move fast, and are basically harmless, and probably more afraid of her than she is of them. Hmm, I think I've heard that description before in reference to ... rodents. Ew!

No comments:

Post a Comment