Saturday, March 13, 2010

What's the hurry?

When it became clear that God was inviting us to trust Him with the journey of international adoption, I knew one thing, well maybe two – it’s going to be a long road, and it won’t go how we expect it to go. When we pursued our first (domestic) adoption it went fast: just over three months from the time we attended an initial informational meeting to the time our daughter was in our arms. Our second adoption wasn’t much longer: just under six months. For this third adoption we’re expecting roughly a year. Maybe that’s why I haven’t allowed myself to act quickly or feel an urgency about getting our paperwork completed, because it’ going to be a long journey so I’m pacing myself. I dunno. It’s weird that I’ve had some of our paperwork printed out and waiting in a manila folder to be filled out and signed for over a month. For some reason I keep pushing the adoption to-do list to the bottom of my pile of urgent things each day. Throughout each day I think about our child in Rwanda (possibly already born), and I pray for him. I think about how our family will be changing and needing to adapt to his arrival. I think about the miracle of adoption. I bet this topic goes through my mind at least once an hour. Yet – why is the paperwork still sitting undone?
In the past couple days, I’ve sensed a new fluttering in my heart. An urgency even. I get a lump in my throat thinking about the nearly 1 million orphans in Rwanda that will go to sleep tonight without a mommy and daddy, or much hope of having such a luxury. I think about how my daughters insist on one last drink of water as an integral part of their bedtime routine – yet so many kids in Africa don’t have access to clean water. I think about our son waiting for us, and how after we bring him home there will be one more bed available at the orphanage for one more kid… and suddenly I’m feeling like it’s time to “get off the dime” and get this paperwork done as quickly as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment