Friday, January 29, 2010

Am I missing something, Barbie?

We've got a couple of girly-girls in our house. This afternoon Daddy was playing beauty shoppe with our litttle beauties while I made dinner - with a hilarious New Jersey accent, he painted their nails and applied some of Momma's lipstick. Ruby and LouLou were all giggles, and felt so pretty!
After dinner we took a trip to Target for a few items, and Ruby pursuaded us to stroll through the toy aisles. That's where I got a stomach ache. Dave whispered to me, and pointed out the differences between the "White girl" Barbies and the "Black girl" Barbies. Excuse me, Matel Toys?! For blonde Barbies, the selection included: Vet Barbie, Dentist Barbie, and Doctor Barbie... and for the African American Barbies, you could choose from three varieties, complete with short shorts, cropped shirts, heavy make-up, and lots of bling. My stomach ached. Where was the dentist, vet, or doctor Barbie with darker skin? (And not that I'm advocating scantily clad blonde Barbies either, but still)
p.s. ok, in the interest of fairness, after posting this post, I went to the Matel website and found that they do indeed have Barbies with darker skin that are dentists, doctors, and vets - but they certainly weren't in the toy aisle at Target. I'm glad they do have these dolls after all. So, never mind. =-)

No comments:

Post a Comment