Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cold Toes and Shin Splints

At Ruby's school, during the month of January each year, the kids learn ice skating during P.E. class twice a week.  there are some kids that skate proficiently and play on hockey teams...and then there are kids who have never worn an ice skate.  Last year, Ruby got a pair of skates and got her first/only exposure to ice skating at school.  I was in the deep end with two newly adopted toddlers and the idea of practicing ice skating after school or on weekends was ridiculous to me.  But this year, my amazing parents got both Ruby and Sadie new skates, and we've gone as a family to the park to practice a few times.
And today I got a pair of skates too =-)  Brings me back to my days of skating at our neighborhood park with my best friend, Crissy.  She could last hours on the ice, and my wimpy toes would turn numb within 20 minutes.  But that's all a part of the fun, right?  And tonight when I was rubbing lotion on Ruby's legs at bedtime, she winced in pain.  I noticed a bulge on each of her shins.  Daddy thinks it's shin splints.  Is that a part of the fun too?  =-)  We raise 'em hearty here in the upper midwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment